Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Introduction Highlights

Post any of the book highlights and main ideas we should include in our presentation introduction here.

11 comments:

  1. For the introduction I think it will be important to summarize a bit from the chapters we had the classmates read. I think chapter three, identity, is important to touch on. Some key points are the teacher should make sure language puts the student as the author (I bet you're proud of yourself), and developing students to see themselves as critical thinkers and writers (what are you doing as a writer today).

    ReplyDelete
  2. From chapter 4 I think it is important to develop students who see themselves as problem solvers and capable of overcoming challenges. For example asking "how did you figure that out?" and "how do you plan on doing this?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question for Jackie, Since you are going to do the introduction, Are you still planning on writing the four cases for Appendix B?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went through the book and my notes again to try to summarize for myself, and for the purpose of our introduction, the key concepts of this book. What I found was that I was writing down everything. The book packs so much into so few pages that I feel everything is important for anybody who interacts with children and students of any age in any setting, formal or informal, regardless of whether or not they are a teacher.

    So what I am posting in the following blog posts is what I saw as the absolute bottom line of what our class should get out of our project. Please comment and add anything you feel we need to include that I left out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Choice Words Introduction: Key Concepts to Include

    Quotes:

    · “Children grow into the intellectual life around them” pg2. [Building learning communities]

    · “Children teach us about the language of our classrooms” the roles they take on, their language, and their views of how things work, pg3.

    Key ideas:

    · Teachers and the language they use lay the foundation for the future of how students expect to be treated and how they are to interact with others and their surroundings.

    · “The language we choose in our interactions with children influences the ways they frame these events, and the way the events influence their developing sense of agency” pg 34.

    · “The way we interact with children and arrange for them in interact shows them what kinds of people we think they are and gives them opportunities to practice being those kinds of people pg 79.

    · “Understanding ourselves entails understanding others and how we are alike and not alike, and our intentions, thoughts and feelings” pg 85. [Can make bridge to anti-oppressive or cultural awareness teaching.]

    · Open activities with multiple points of entry, multiple paths to multiple solutions. (somewhere in ch. 7 I forgot to write down the page number.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Building an Identity [We can include building individual and community identities, Ch. 3 and 7)

    Opening question to our class to introduce chapter 3: How do you think of yourselves or how have you thought of yourselves in the past? [My answer in college was I thought of myself as a physics major. That was how I identified myself and how I processed everyday things/occurrences/conversations, with an analytical eye.]

    “Building an identity means coming to see in ourselves the characteristics of particular categories and roles of people and developing a sense of what it feels like to be that sort of person and belong in certain social spaces” pg23.

    Classroom interactions allow children to build and try on different identities. Example, “As scientists (insert other role i.e. poet), how should we handle this?” Students have to imagine themselves, at least temporarily, in that identity in order to answer this question, pg 23. It requires developing an understanding of what scientists (poets) do, and to build their understanding into ways of talking and acting. Children might then choose to maintain an identity.

    Using “We” and similar language to build a collective identity; creating a safe (where trying new things is encouraged and not feared), caring and respectful learning community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sense of Agency
    Agency in the book is defined as the perception that the environment is responsive to our actions.
    Teachers help children build bridges between action and consequences. By acting strategically, students can accomplish things, and that they are the type of person who accomplishes things.
    • Attribute accomplishments entirely to the student, makes it possible for the child to become more than his/herself.
    • “Naturalizing questions leads to the unspoken assertion that trying, struggling, noticing, and creating are normal, expected things to do” pg38. [This is said throughout the book, that by asking things such as “is there another way we could have approached this?” or “what did you find difficult?” It sends the message that questions and difficulties are normal and to be expected, not feared and viewed as failure.]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Noticing and Naming
    When students become adept at noticing for themselves, the teacher is no longer the source of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reham,

    I am making the chart from Appendix C, do you want me to make copies of the 4 students? I will talk to you tonight at class.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah,

    You made some great choices. We can sit down and put them in a presentation on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jackie and Reham,
    I have made the copies of Appendix B - the four students.

    ReplyDelete